Skip to main content

“We are each one of us responsible for our own house.”

A thought by John Ortberg (2015-05-05) from his book, Life-Changing Love: Moving God's Love from Your Head to Your Heart (p. 81). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Now it is so easy for us to live life and have things go wrong and want to play the blame game.  It’s not my fault, it’s _____’s fault. But blaming really is to be lame.  We are each responsible for our own house.  But we really do love to blame our parents, our boss, the government, our circumstances and even God.  But “we are each one of us responsible for our own house” or character or soul. We are all of us constructing a life.

John says, “Every commitment I make, every friendship I enter, every skill that I cultivate or neglect, every promise I honor or break, becomes a part of my house. You are constructing your life. The quality of the choices you make will determine the quality of your character, your soul.”

Larry also says, “Some people are so afraid of being disappointed by their choice they avoid making choices at all. But then that’s the house you live in. Or you may fear disappointment so you procrastinate. Then you live in that house.”

He then says, “Here are some signs that I am failing to take responsibility for my own house: • I am overly eager to please. I find myself looking for others’ approval to validate my choices. • I can’t decide. I lack clarity on what it is that I truly think is right or good or even enjoyable. I waver and hesitate to commit. • I am anxious. A little criticism from the wrong source leaves me feeling defeated. • I lack integrity. Instead of freely saying what I believe, I calculate and adjust my words to fit more closely with what I think the other person wants to hear. We are all house-builders. There is no alternative. We are constructing our lives.”

But we don’t have to do it alone.  There is a Master Contractor who wants to guide you and teach you and make a difference in building your life.  Or maybe you want to do it on your own.  That is not wise.  That is very foolish.  It’s like the man who chose to build his house upon the sand instead of on the rock.  When the storm came and it will come it was washed away.

Jesus is that Master Contractor and he wants to teach you and guide you in your building.  But you must seek after him and ask him and then follow him.  That is what the wise man would do.  But it is your choice.  He wants to come along side of you and make your house one that will last.  

So how is your house building going?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind